Sunday, January 29, 2012

First Impressions

I am in Belgium! My adaptors don't work so I am using a Belgian keyboard which is totally confusing. Did not know they had different ones. So I better be quick, in hotel reception and guess what, SATELLITE IS ON THE RADIO!!

-Why do low value eurocoins look so expensive xD They have 1c eurocoins!
-The trains look very old and have tables
-The towns are small and look a bit grim when the sun is not out. But Leuven has some really old looking buildings that is such a novelty to me.
-It is FREEZING, I could not feel my hands. Scared I won't be able to handle this.
-The trees are bare of leaves, another novelty :P
-The hot chocolates we got were 2.30 euros, much cheaper than home. But they don't put froth in them :C
-It is SO weird how everything is dead on Sunday morning. Not even any joggers or anyone out.
-When I got on my Abu Dhabi to Brussels plane the lady in the seat next to me spoke to me in Dutch... everyone was Dutch there. I could pick up random words, it's a start.
-All the Europeans seem so stylish and stuff xD
-When the lady in the grocery store spoke in Dutch I freaked out and just handed her money, was too nervous to even attempt thank you in Dutch.
-There are students with suitcases everywhere.
-My hotel is 2 minutes from the train but it took me and Nicolas about an hour to find it, because he's such a good navigator :D
-So weird watching Suite Life on Deck dubbed in Dutch.
-They have no dual flush toilets or electrical power buttons!
-The lift in the hotel is tiny and the receptionist wouldn't use it.. me and Nicolas hardly fit inside, totally creepy.
-Everyone seems to speak English so far.

So I will blog more when I get my laptop to work, panicking about this.
So I am enjoying Belgium but also it's scary. :P

5 comments:

Rosalie said...

Don't worry it won't stay scary.

Anonymous said...

I hate those 1 cent coins, we don't use them anymore but I've been to France and Belgium in the past year so I still have them in my wallet and sometimes foreigners pay with them in the store and I still haven't got the guts to say: we refuse 1 and 2 cents. xD I can still remember when Finland was already ditching the 1 and 2 cents after the Euro had only been introduced for like 1 year so there was a run on Finnish 1 and 2 cents by coin collectors. I don't know if you've noticed the different coins from different countries? You probably have a whole lot of the Belgian King in there but still xD

Ehhh there's probably loads more I wanted to say but that's it for now xD

-xx Marjolein

Annika said...

Dara, you will be able to handle the cold weather, but only if you get a coat and gloves/ mittens...I know that I sound stupid every time I say that, but I'm serious :P
Glad that you're enjoying it there :)

Bree said...

ummm. you did bring a coat and gloves right? and a warm hat?

oh i hope you get your laptop going :O

umm. my toilet only flushes once ? :S what's an electric power button? we have light switches.

Anonymous said...

Yeah what is a dual flush thing and electrical power buttons? XD Haha Everything here is much cheaper than at home I've noticed. I hope you buy some winter clothes when you are out :) Enjoy.